Thursday, July 24, 2014

Visit to La Gran Mision Part 2

My parent's mission was very big geographically, so they always spent time "on-the-go", driving from one town to another, staying in hotels, and attending meetings all of the place. I don't know how they did it. One day we took a road trip out to Fermosa where they had a stake conference to attend both Saturday night and Sunday morning. 
My mom said I needed to sit up front to have a true Argentine experience aka get major anxiety from the lack of traffic laws....
 Stake conference was, obviously, in Spanish so it made for an interesting time for me (Jen understands a lot of Spanish). But it was neat to watch both of my parents get up and speak to everyone in Spanish. After the conference we went back to the hotel and enjoyed a great dinner (we ate in true Argentine style at about 11 pm)
 

Our waiter brought over a plate and said it was "catfish - compliments of the chef." We're not exactly big seafood eaters in my family - however, I did try a bite and got a picture as proof to try and impress my husband. It wasn't tasty.
We did enjoy our steak, though!

After stake conference on Sunday we drove back to Resistencia, but we wanted to get a picture of my parents with the huge cross in the middle of a main street in Fermosa. If you look closely, you can see Presidente y Hermana Heyman.
Jen and I tried for a jumping pic in front of the cross, but our timin was a little off.

The following day my parents had a conference for all the missionary leaders. This was, again, in Spanish so I didn't catch much (or almost anything) of what was being said, but it was very cool to see the missionaries and my parents interact. It is clear that the missionaries really respected my parents and that my parents loved the missionaries. Throughout the conference my dad spoke, my mom spoke and had a game for the missionaries, and a few of the missionaries had presentations themselves. They also had a lunch break - pizza (not quite the same tasting as pizza in the states) empanadas, apples, and alfajores.
Towards the end of the conference my dad had asked both Jen and I to share our testimonies. He asked if I would give mine in sign language. I knew he'd be asking me to share my testimony, so before the trip I had written out a few lines and a man in my ward who is a Spanish teacher translated it for me and even sent me a recording of him reading it so I could hear the correct pronunciation. I recited what I had memorized and I was so scared and nervous doing it!! Then I did my testimony in sign while simultaneously speaking it in English and my dad would then translate to Spanish for all the missionaries. Jen shared her testimony in Spanish and it was neat.

At the end of the conference my dad announced (as usual) my mom had baked a treat for all the missionaries. As he held up the brownies and explained they were chocolate brownies, with a layer of peanut butter, a layer of chocolate ganache, and peanuts on the top the reaction of the missionaries was hilarious. They burst out into cheers - clapping, fist pumping, high-fiving...it was so funny to see. My sister and I told my mom the brownies were the size of a brick and that we expected they would last the missionaries a few days, but just minutes after being handed the brownie we saw so many missionaries finishing the whole thing - even some of the little hermanas! One of the ways my mom has always shown her love for people is through baking!
 

We got to see my dad's office and meet all of the office Elders.

Two of the mornings we were staying at the mission home I went out on a walk with my mom. The walkway/sidewalk is in the middle of the road - literally. It was so strange. Pedestrians don't have the right of way either so it gets to be pretty tricky when you have to cross an intersection. Also, at random places on the walkway they have exercise equipment for just anyone to use. Their version of a gym! This was all so hilarious to me. And, of course, random statues pop up here and there.
 Can you see me?
One morning on our walk my mom, sister and I detoured through town to get some chipa (yummy little bread balls with cheese in them) for breakfast and also picked ourselves up some shoes!
 Another day my parents treated us to one of their favorite spots to eat when they feel like spoiling themselves - McDonalds!!! They have one in the mission. It is at the one mall in their mission next to their beloved Walmart!
Jen and I also got spoiled with some great souvenirs and found a few other things to take home. Look how happy my dad is carrying our shopping bags- what a gentleman!!! :)
Our special souvenirs - leather bags from the Prune shop. Thank you mom and dad!!! (don't mind my hair as I had already taken it down for the night)
And just like that it was already time to start our travels home :( 
It was sad to say goodbye to my parents - but it wasn't as nearly as it could have been knowing that they would be home in less than 2 months!!! I asked to take one last photo of them and this is what I got... ha mom did her best to smile and not cry :) Jen and I got a kick out of the photo.
Our flight from Resistencia to Buenos Aires was delayed which consequently made us miss our flight from Buenos Aires to Miami.
Jorge picked us up to drive us between airports again and despite the rain and insane traffic he was still doing his best to get us to the airport in time to catch our flight. He was trying so hard both Jen and I said we were literally fearing for our lives! I am shocked we didn't get in an accident. I laughed when Jen said, "I was just praying that when the accident happened my baby would be ok!" She had given up on the thought that an accident WOULDN'T happen! (Oh by the way, Jen did all this traveling pregnant. Way to go sister.) So, we had a few extra hours in Buenos Aires and more time in Miami, but we eventually made it home!

And that is a summary of my trip. I am so thankful for my parents and amazed by them. Their phones never stopped ringing (day or night), they had to do without many luxuries (even things we don't consider luxuries in the US) for three years, they had smiles on their faces every day, they loved their work and the people they were serving, and they were always counting their blessings. Thank you Mom and Dad for being a wonderful example to me of serving the Lord first no matter what the sacrifice. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to visit you in the mish and seeing a little of what you've been up to. I love you!

And I have to add a big shout out to my Samuel who had over a week alone in Wyoming (that would get old, really fast) and to my wonderful in-laws who took such good care of Eleanor! It was always a highlight for me whenever I received pictures of her or would see her face pop up on Instagram. I don't think she missed me one bit! She had a blast with her grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. Thank you!!!



2 comments:

Jenny said...

I loved reading your Argentina trip blogs!! Sometimes Instagram just doesn't do trips justice. It was fun to hear more details.

mom - Diane - Grandma :-) said...

I am so glad you came and got to see presidente in action and part of our mission. It was pure heaven having you with us!!